Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Lark Rise to Candleford: A Trip Worth Taking



For months my friend Sharon, a self-proclaimed BBC costume drama addict, talked about one of her favorite series. I was intrigued to watch it, but from one conversation to the next I could not seem to remember the name of the show. Well, let me tell you, since I discovered Lark Rise to Candlefordon Amazon Prime, no one in my house is likely to forget the name of this series because I talk about it all the time. All. The. Time. If you are eagerly awaiting the return of Downton Abbey, I encourage you to give this BBC drama a try.







This four-season BBC series follows young Laura Timmons in her move from the quaint hamlet of Lark Rise to the busier market town of Candleford.







Downton fans will immediately recognize Laura's father, Robert Timmons, as the actor who portrays Mr. Bates (Brendan Coyle).







Laura moves to Candleford to begin an apprenticeship as postmistress under the wise and understanding gaze of Dorcas Lane. The Candleford Post and Telegraph Office functions as the center of community life.






The setting, costuming and storytelling make this a viewing experience to savor. Lark Rise to Candleford has become my laundry-day indulgence. While I fold and iron clothes, my heart roams the English countryside. 






If you have not seen it, I just know that within minutes you will be captivated by this character-driven show.






With its quirky characters, life lessons and tender view of English country life, Lark Rise to Candleford is simply delightful.





Walk the path from Lark Rise to Candleford alongside Laura Timmons, and within one episode I'm sure you'll agree with Miss Lane: "It's my one weakness."





If you are ready to embark on a beautiful journey into the English countryside, explore Lark Rise to Candleford here.



And be sure to stop in tomorrow for a tea party perfectly suited to the Candleford Post and Telegraph Office.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin